Who are we?
In 2006 a collaboration agreement was made by the Ministry of National Heritage and the Szentendre Hungarian Open Air Museum to establish the Museum Education Centre, a professional centre providing for development and renewal of museums.
Our main targets were between 2008 and 2013 to accomplish the „Museums for Everyone Programme – Reinforcement of the educational and training role of museums – Central methodology development TÁMOP-3.2.8/A-08-2008-0002 by three project managers, by an execution team of six, together with cooperation of nineteen regional coordinators and three museum education vocational coordinators.
The Museum Education Centre continues its diverse professional work in the maintenance period started on 1st March 2014.
The official name of our institution was changed on 1th January 2015. From than on it is Museum Education and Methodology Centre, indicating the extension of the scope of our activities. More details see here.
What do we believe in?
We believe that museums in Hungary
- have an accentuated role in preserving, transmitting culture on both national and universal scales
- are repositories of knowledge and experiences
- represent substantial national asset through their collections, exhibitions and academic activities
- are of great significance to augment national knowledge and culture
- require constant renewal in order to be able to accomplish their mission
- can provide appropriate programs for all age groups
Our mission is to assist renewal and self-renewal of museums in Hungary by methodology training and development, by operating a coordinator network and by professional counselling in order to create modern exhibitions, a visitor- and school-friendly environment, exciting programmes which educate in an entertaining way, and provide high level services. Our priorities include supporting competence development in public education by introducing and disseminating modern museum education solutions extensively as well as modernizing cooperation between museums and public education institutions.
How can we help?
- training, methodology study-aid, curriculum
- publishing research results, case studies
- training, counselling, and information services
- information about our repository of knowledge and database
- publishing best practices in museum education and sample projects
- providing professional advice as well as counselling in grant applications directly through our coordinator
network by organizing information days
- public newsletter, information continuously updated
- on our website
- organizing conferences, consultancies
- e-learning curricula
Our activities and services are continuously expanded in accordance with the advancement of the project.
Where are we?
Hungarian Open Air Museum Szentendre
2000 Szentendre, Sztaravodai út 75.
postal address: 2001 Szentendre Pf. 63.
phone: +36 26 502 500
fax: +36 26 502 502
- in all counties and in Budapest through coordinators
- web: www.mokk.skanzen.hu
Accomplished methodology research and development
- compiling a national museum education database
- museums to serve the needs of public education – research
- adapting European best practices in museum education methodology
- museum professionals to serve the needs of public education research
- working out and releasing sample projects
Professional training for teachers and museum professionals.
Working out, accrediting and running 10 methodology training programmes:
- Learning is fun, entertain to learn – project method in museum education
- Partnership of schools and museums – training for teachers
- Train the trainer of teachers – museum utilization in public education
- Do you understand? – Yes, I do! – How to welcome handicapped people in museums
- Museum management
- School-friendly museum environment
- Curating exhibitions from A to Z: from the idea to accomplishment to serve the needs of public education
- Museum communication to serve the needs of education
- Networking and cooperation in non formal education
- Museum publications for education and training – from the worksheet to online museum group work
Please find our training catalogue on our website, here
The priority project financed by the EU was launched on 16 September 2016. The project is implemented under the leadership of the Hungarian Open Air Museum, MOKK in consortium partnership with NMI Institute for Culture Kft. and the National Széchényi Library in 36 months, with a budget of HUF 3 billion. Its aim is to increase community activity, to strengthen community empowerment in the settlements involved in the development, to strengthen relations between local governments, cultural institutions and residents and to upgrade the culture of collaboration. The work of the project is assisted by a mentor network of cultural community developers.
Learn more about the project:
Museum and library development for everyone
The priority project was launched on 1 February 2017 under the leadership of the Hungarian Open Air Museum, MOKK in consortium partnership with the Metropolitan Szabó Ervin Library, it is implemented in 36 months with a budget of HUF 2 billion. The project aims to prepare museums and libraries to be able to respond to new social-economic challenges by empowering the young generations of the society. The museum and library development activities affecting public education are realized by sensitization of professionals and teachers and teacher trainees of the institutions concerned.
Learn more about the project:
Museums for Everyone Programme
The Hungarian Open Air Museum is accredited with the qualification of adult education institution.
Training premises and facilities
Training sessions are conducted at different locations on the premises of the directorate building of the Hungarian Open Air Museum and in the Csilléry Klára Education Centre. Permanent and temporary exhibitions, the Study Collection and the professional reading library are all at the disposal of our students to enhance their academic knowledge and practical experience.
Network of museum coordinators
Museums are represented by a professional coordinator in each county of Hungary and in Budapest. The members of the network also participate professionally in reaching project aims. As museum professionals they support local, county and regional developments, they ensure the flow of information between Ministry of National Resources, Museums for Everyone - Museum Education and Methodology Centre and between public education participants and institutions by playing a kind of counselling role.
- methodology publications
- research studies
- coursebooks, monographs
- educational study-aid
- Museums for Everyone Programme Portal
- Museums for Everyone e-newsletter
Our publicatins can be downloaded free of charge after registration on www.mokk.skanzen.hu, here and here.
Conferences, roundtable discussions, symposiums, information days, briefings are organized and executed in the course of implementing methodology development.
Museums for Everyone Programme – Strengthening the educational and training role of museums – Central methodology development TÁMOP-3.2.8/A-08-2008-0002 project 2008-2013
The project is executed by the Hungarian Open Air Museum – Museum Education and Methodology Centre with the support of the European Union, co-financed by the European Social Fund.
Project owner: Hungarian Open Air Museum, Dr. Miklós Cseri , Director General
Project manager: Dr. Ibolya Bereczki, Deputy Director General
Project professional leader: Mária Káldy, Director, Museum Education and Methodology Centre
Supervisory Authority: National Development Agency Human Resources Division
Contributing organisation: ESZA Social Services Nonprofit Ltd.
English translation: Katalin Andrikó